WELCOME TO THE EXCITING WORLD OF THE BDS AESTHETICS DEPARTMENT
“Imagination is more important than knowledge.
For knowledge is limited to all we now know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world and all there ever will be to know and understand.
Aesthetic disciplines engage, inspire and enrich all students, exciting their imagination and encouraging them to reach their creative and expressive potential.
In Bedok South Sec, students learn to express their ideas, thoughts and opinions as designers, culinary artists, visual artists and musicians. They acquire skills and develop critical understanding that informs decision-making and aesthetic choices.
The Aesthetics Department aims to develop:
● A thinking individual who possesses 21st century competencies and is well prepared to meet future challenges.
● A creative youth who will appreciate the arts.
1. Design & Technology (Lower and Upper Sec)
2. Food & Consumer Education (Lower Sec) and Nutrition and Food Science (Upper Sec)
3. Art (Lower and Upper Sec)
4. Music (Lower Sec)
The lower secondary curriculum provides a broad and balanced range of learning experiences that is based upon Singapore’s national curriculum. The curriculum is designed to develop fundamental subject-specific skills that students will require for higher studies in related areas.
The upper secondary curriculum builds on the skills developed in Secondary 1 & 2. It is a rigorous and challenging academic programme geared to meet the demands of national examinations at “N” and “O” level.
The co-curriculum focuses on the holistic development of students’ interests, abilities and talents in various aesthetic disciplines. It achieves this through:
1. Department-based programmes and platforms such as
a. Arts Fiesta
b. Aesthetics-based learning journeys
c. Assembly performances and presentations
2. Performing arts co-curricular activities (CCA)
a. Concert Band
b. Chinese Orchestra
c. Chinese and International Dance
e. Malay Dance