The BDS Humanities Department believes that all our students have the capacity to hold the world in their hands.
In line with the school’s Teaching and Learning Framework, we seek to nurture creative and critical thinkers with the skills to excel in the 21st Century world, the heart to empathise with our fellow men, and the spirit to appreciate our diverse heritage and environment.
A BDS Humanities Student will be able to acquire the following:
- Think critically about various issues from different perspectives.
- Critically examine and analyse different sources of information to construct clear explanations and make informed judgments.
- Clearly and confidently communicate their ideas through a variety of means.
- Acquire, manage and use different types of information effectively.
- Develop an understanding of important concepts related to History, Geography and Social Studies.
- Have an informed awareness about current issues relevant to Singapore, the region, and the world.
Values and Attitudes
- Be able to empathise with multiple perspectives while formulating their own independent ideas.
- Be able to embrace and respect diversities in modern day societies.
- Be comfortable with complexity and ambiguity,and is resilient when faced with challenges.
- Be appreciative of the inter-connectedness of the world around them.
- Be curious about the world around them.
- Be motivated to meaningfully contribute to bettering the lives of others around them.
Approach & Pedagogy
Subjects under the Humanities Department:
- Social Studies
- History Elective
- Geography Elective
- Core Geography
- Core History